engage2012 - artist led city project:

engage 2012 - artist led city project:
The artists leave their homes, where reactions and interactions are often familiar and defined.
They come together in a foreign city, where they themselves are the others, simultaneously being in the city,
as well as apart from it due to their position as foreigners.

Wednesday, 21 September 2011

Extract from email communication - Josefin 9/09/2011

From Josefin - 9/09/2011

Thoughts on
proposed work title engage/ encounter/

When I had this idea, I had been talking to my family about the island project, and what I was happy about (and not equally happy about).

Something that I felt very strongly is that I never really had the opportunity and time to really be on the island/ feel that I was there. This was a consequence of several things; partially I was not entirely relaxed in the social surrounding, and thus my thought was more concerned with those social tensions than the tensions between me and the island. Another factor had to do with collective action; the fact of each of us bringing something to happen to the island was a good thought, but in the end it meant that we were pending to the collective most of the time. Finally, for me, I found the use of electronic media and the extensive share of mediated information quite disturbing (for my experience of presence). Mentally we were dealing with anything but the present, any theoretical idea of island but the sensation of the one we were on.
(This is not to say that I didnt bring loads home from the island project - I am actually quite inspired)

Now as a contrast to this, what I really appreciated was going to a real physical place, with a group of people whom I didn't know.

What I want to take from the island project is that, the going into the unknown; not knowing anything more than oneself and one's intention, perhaps without (but this is up to the participants individually) a plan. In my mind; this new project alternates between individual and collective in the way of a dialogue/ exchange of bits and pieces, poems, texts, drawings, thoughts, findings etc each night. In the day we roam the streets alone, as solitary hunters (marlboro women, cowboys), pursuing our own path, attempting to delve as deep into the particularities of our vision and individual engagement as possible.
Some reservations; we could of course choose to roam in groups one day, or to meet in the day and roam in the night, what I find is important is that we really attempt at being there. With being there I believe that one must be receptive to the place as an interference to one's normal routine. We need to be aware of codes and means of breaking with the routine. For example what Tess mentioned in terms of electronic equipment, other things could be how we talk about mediated information, if we talk and how we support each other etc. I don't suggest anything specific except that I think we should be open for tampering with our normal habits so as to be more present in the location, as a group that is. When roaming, everyone is their own to do what needs to be done :-))

Part of this, as I mentioned in my mail yesterday, I am thinking of shifting my mind in terms of “What art is”. This is a discussion I am busy with, which I find inspiring. I move from a point in which I have experiences, I go to locations, with the intention to seek motives and themes and thoughts for my drawings. The drawings were “the art”. Now, I (want to try) to move to a point where I engage with a locations/ situations so as to allow myself to be changed (albeit temporarily). I let the outside in me. What happens in terms of making a product – making a work – is different. (Not less, but different). Its is related to the event, but its neither a documentation or the actual purpose. It is the work and the work is on its own and comes later. What I am interested in for this project is not the work but the art, and art as an (active) engagement with the world and the present (and with a selected group of wonderful and interesting people). I do not mean that you should think the same about this.
Oh, and there is no notion in this about a "clean" relationship, I do not come without prejudice or previously established ideas, rather the opposite, I come with an intention and with myself as my tool; the dirt makes the glasses I see through visible (this is actually super-true because my glasses are insanely scratched..). I obviously mean this metaphorically...

Anyway; in short; I think we should all be free to pursue our own path. When we meet, we throw it all out there, perform perhaps, safely, sharing our findings and our process. Being solitary participants in a non-hierarchical affinity group.

There is a notion which needs to be explored, especially perhaps if thinking Mota; transience and transitory.
So these are words that I throw into the pit; transience, transitory, location, presence, group, individual, engage, seek.

No comments:

Post a Comment