Good evening!
I just finished reading “Escape Attempts,” Lucy Lippard’s introduction to her book on conceptual art, Six Years: The dematerialization of the art object from 1966 to 1972:
I find it inspiringly pragmatic and there are loads of ideas from it that I think could be looked at and discussed further. At this point I was reading it 1) because I like the way she writes, 2) Im doing a little research as you may know on art connected to ideas of void/ emptiness/ postapocalyptic melancholia and its cultural/ historical context, and stumbled on this.
In any case, I think the final paragraph is somewhat of a cut-out-and-keep-in-you-pocket:
Perhaps most important, Conceptualists indicated that the most exciting "art" might still be buried in social energies not yet recognised as art. The process of extending the boundaries didn't stop with Conceptual art: These energies are still out there, waiting for artists to plug into them, potential fuel for the expansion of what "art" can mean. The escape was temporary. Art was recaptured and sent back to its white cell, but parole is always a possibility.
Cheerful and cynical at the same time.
/Josefin r
No comments:
Post a Comment